This off season was a particularly difficult one for all hockey fans. So many lost, way too young; addiction, mental illness, and a plane crash no one could control. Yet, all hockey fans stood together, remembering the lost and looking to the season ahead. Many memorials and much love for those lost. As a fan, you feel these losses deep down for the families and hockey teams affected.
My thoughts on the Isles thus far is that they are not the same team we saw in the second half of last season. They were showing so much promise then, and had the confidence in the locker room to back it up. I will not go in depth about that Feb friday night against the Pens, but I felt it was huge. A young team stands, brother to brother and defeats the elite Penguins. Oh, what a sight it was.
Some will agree with me, and some not, but Zenon Konopka was a huge part of that confidence. I really miss Z, I think he meant a lot to the young players. Love that Doug Weight is an assistant coach, because he carries that same passion. It's not enough. I truly believe that Konopka is/was better for the Isles than Reasoner. I do not understand that move at all. I have not understood many things that the Isles have done, but more often than not they seem to work out. I will never understand the Roloson move, and I think Wishart will do nothing for this team..oh yeah, he's still in Bridgeport after we waived him. My point is, that some players, who may not be overly talented, still can contribute in a major way.
Thoughts on the season thus far: The boys can't buy a goal. It is an abomination that we have so much offensive talent, but can't score in a shootout. Our defense, including goal tending is just fine. Our PK is outstanding, as is our GAA. So why can't our million dollar baby offense score? Guys like Moulson, Grabner, Comeau and Bailey can't manage to get there. When they do, they are high or wide and hit an occasional post.
All I can say, is that something is very wrong. The calls tonight in the game with San Jose were ridiculous. I think the officiating in the NHL has severe issues. They really need to look at that. Honestly, it looked like the officials were intentionally trying to take the game from us. I have always thought that there is anti Islander sentiment in the NHL, but now they are getting Brass Ballsy about it. No one disciplines them, so they do what they want. I am disheartened by this. The officials need to answer to a higher "GOD" as well as the players. Sometimes, bad calls determine the outcome. That happened tonight on Long Island, and it was wrong.
Just give them some time. Just be patient. Be a loyal fan and keep going to games. I hate Rangers. Rangers fans think Rangers rule NY. We can prove them wrong.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading Danny!! Ihave been loyal for 40 years, so i won't stop now :) I believe we can prove the hockey community wrong, but really, our offense needs to step it up
ReplyDelete